Boarding School

A girl and a horse

Three weeks have almost past since our eldest; Annabelle left the family home and headed off to boarding school.  I suppose this day has been coming ever since she was a baby.  Education is one of the more challenging aspects of where we live and for us boarding school was always going to be our best option for secondary school.  Not the easiest option, but the best option in the big scheme of things.

She was brave and positive and ready for this change.   As parents, our tears flowed as we drove away.   Terry always knows how to handle these things, he headed straight to the nearest café and ordered us takeaway iced coffees with cream and ice-cream.  Not usually my favourite but on that hot, anxious and sweaty afternoon they were perfect and set us up for the long drive home.

Despite months, actually years, of preparation it felt surreal for the first few days.  I still find myself making her a cup of tea after dinner and I still half expect her to pop around the corner to collect it.

There are no jigsaws holding on precariously to every available surface.  There are not as many books scattered around the place.  There is still music in the house but not as much and the playlist has certainly changed. There are no long, blonde hairs collecting in piles on the floor and the requests for fried haloumi at every meal have dropped off.

I miss her constant, gentle support and her practical approach to life.

It goes without saying that we all miss her terribly.  But, her happiness and willingness to grab every opportunity offsets most of the sadness that might be lurking around the corner.  She is learning to manage her money, laundry, belongings, schedules, friendships and all of the things that will contribute to her independence and place in the world.

Something that really warms my heart is that she wants to share so many things with us, like weather updates, descriptions of her art, pretty sunrises and streetscapes that she has noticed.

A cow and a goat

So life changes once again.  Thank goodness we have a few years left before our youngest makes this change.

How are you?

Any big life changes?

I hope you are baking or reading or growing something lovely today.

Happy Sunday, friends x

Kate B

February 17, 2019

It’s tough but knowing she is meeting the challenges and having fun helps a little I’m sure. I feel like my house is in a constant state of flux since the first born turned about 12! So many changes and just when I think we’ve got a handle on it… xx

February 22, 2019

Exactly Kate! Thank you for your understanding on these tricky years! x

Kate M

February 17, 2019

Oh that is a big life change, but one you will all adjust to and grow into, as will she. The nice thing about children going away is that you can make home a place that they come back to and want to return to. That’s a special thing in itself.

February 22, 2019

That is a great way to look at it Kate, thank you x

Gerrie Mackey

February 18, 2019

I can understand how you are feeling. I was brought up in Africa & went to boarding school at 11 years of age. It was always a wrench leaving Mum & Dad (I did quite enjoy being with my friends at school) .. but I’ve always remain extra close to my parents maybe because I appreciated time with them in the holidays..😀

February 22, 2019

I am sure growing up in Africa would have been fascinating Gerrie! Thank you for calling in x

Liz Trabilsie

February 18, 2019

Beautiful words, Jane. It bought a tear to my eye as I thought about how we felt when both you and Luke went to boarding school. Annabelle is a beautiful girl and has an amazing attitude to all things new. It is always tough to say goodbye for both parties.!

February 22, 2019

Thanks Mum! x

Narelle

February 18, 2019

Challenges never stop….
    This year we packed up our boys 10 & 12 and headed to a house in another state that has been vacant 10 years, where the wasps out number people 1000 to 1, where there have been more snakes than I have ever seen in my 47 years in the past week.
    This week we have running water, a flushing loo and the gas oven.
    We could sit and like others be comfortable, with no real challenges, but plenty of false drama….
    Meeting challenges, being comfortable with change is life for those on the road less travelled….
    Blessings from our family to yours ❤️

February 22, 2019

Oh thank you for these very wise words Narelle. I appreciate you calling in! I hope the creatures in your new house are being kind to you and your family x

Kylie

February 21, 2019

Have been thinking of all our old Sota buddies as we move into the high school years with our babes. Toby has settled into year 7 well…missed the bus home yesterday after getting caught up in corridor chit chat.
    Medical diagnosis challenges here for us with Henr. Pending diagnosis for Abigail next week. All challenging and tiring but we will just keep chipping away at living our best life.
    Hi to Belle from our troops xx

February 22, 2019

Hi Kylie, nice to hear from you. There are always challenges to face it seems! Hi to your crew too…we are looking forward to seeing Toby, Lucy and Henry soon. Take care x

Kate

February 22, 2019

Oh Jane I am right there with you, well kinda.
    So many of your words could easily be used to describe how I’m feeling about Indi being overseas for the year. It’s part heart breaking and part inspiring. x

February 22, 2019