Our beach shack, for a week

?>

The morning we left for King Island started well before sunrise.  After two flights with our two young first time air travellers we had finally arrived at our holiday destination.  The first thing that struck me when we walked into our rented shack was just how warm it was.  We quickly discovered the fire had been lit prior to our arrival.  This was a magic touch.

We spent seven nights on the island and for this amount of time I wanted accommodation with enough space for everyone in close proximity to the beach.  I had secretly hoped it also had plenty of character as I had deliberately avoided booking generic cabin or motel style accommodation.

I have always been fascinated by beach shacks and I couldn’t help taking photos as the morning and afternoon light moved through the rooms.

Located on the more protected, eastern side of the island the Naracoopa Beach Shack ticked all of the boxes for me.  It was warm and cosy with just enough room for a family of four.  With the beach literally just across the road and the jetty within walking distance, everyone was happy.  The fishing rods, buckets, bikes, surfboard and books added to the fun.  I especially enjoyed getting reacquainted with Enid Blyton and the Secret Seven!

Are you lucky enough to own a shack?

Do you love the idea of having a shack?

Do you love the big, flash, modern beach house or the old style shack?  It is the old style for me all the way!

October 20, 2013

e / dig in

October 11, 2013

what gorgeous photos. i love the first one – i t reminded me of when i was in greece many years ago, i photographed every old wooden door of character… i also love the blue kitchen. who knew that dark turquoisey colour would be so good in a kitchen? but maybe only a beach shack kitchen…
    never had thought about shacks until we moved to tassie – it's a big thing down here, weekend shacks to escape too

October 12, 2013

Thanks e. Yes, I loved the old door too, so much character. I think you are right about the kitchen colour, best suited to a shack. Are you lucky enough to have a shack to escape to in Tassie?

e / dig in

October 18, 2013

well, my parent's home is by the water, so maybe that counts?!

Kylie

October 11, 2013

Shack for me Jane, all the way!
    I dream of one day owning a beach house, but it won't be fancy. I clean and fuss enough in our everyday house. I'd want a beach shack so that I could chill – not clean. I wouldn't want to be stressing about sand scratching my floorboards! That's what holidays are for right?!
    Beach houses like the one you stayed at are the best kind – old books to flick through, board games to play etc.
    I love the ply wall in the bedroom, the cool kitchen table and the shells on the window sill. And the first pic of the door is gorgeous. It's a great colour. x

October 12, 2013

Thanks Kylie, I knew it would be old school shack for you!

Zara

October 11, 2013

Love the retro kitchen table and chairs.
    This is my style of accommodation, practical yet beautiful.
    x

October 12, 2013

I loved the kitchen table too Zara, yellow Laminex!

Andrea Mynard

October 11, 2013

Love the shack – looks perfect in its retro style, proximity to beach and Enid Blyton is just the job for this sort of holiday. We had a great time in our friend's 1960s beach hut in Wales in the summer with rockpools, barbecues and lots of Roald Dahl.

October 12, 2013

Thanks Andrea, the beach hut in Wales sounds idyllic!

Barbara Good

October 11, 2013

Looks wonderful, just my kind of place. Having said that my family gave a generic style cabin in a caravan park in southern NSW. We've had it for over twenty years and it is right on the beach in a secluded calm bay. I have the fondest memories of holidaying there as a kid with my siblings and cousins and now I take my kids there every year.

October 12, 2013

Thanks Barbara. I hope you didn't take offence to my generic cabin reference…I would be thrilled to own a cabin such as yours, it sounds beautiful 🙂

Christina @ The Hungry Australian

October 11, 2013

What lovely photos. I love the idea of a shack but I love exploring new places so I think I'd be better off renting than buying. Looks like a fantastic family getaway.

October 12, 2013

Thanks Christina, renting is a great way to see other parts of the world without committing to one place!

Anne (Life in Mud Spattered Boots)

October 11, 2013

I want to stay in that beach shack! Who'd want to stay anywhere else when you have an island to explore?

October 12, 2013

Thanks Anne, I agree 🙂

tea with hazel

October 11, 2013

i love the shack you stayed in jane but i don't really want to own one..maybe when my children were young like yours it would have been good to have somewhere like that to go..most people i know aspire to luxurious style holidaying but i prefer staying in places with character and history even if they're a bit run down and not entirely comfortable..and it's not about the cost..it's about what resonates with me and who i am..

October 12, 2013

I agree Jane, a touch of character and charm in more appealing than luxury, although just a little luxury doesn't go astray from time to time! Luxury can be subjective too cant it…depending on the time, place and stage of life we are in. Thanks for your thoughtful comments as always.

look see. by naomi fenton

October 13, 2013

I'd love to have a shack – old style all the way! 🙂

October 14, 2013

Thanks Naomi, I think almost everyone agrees on old shacks!

Michelle

October 13, 2013

Stunning photos Jane! And yes, totally a shack person all the way. My in-laws used to own a flashy modern beach house and whenever we went there I called it a cleaning holiday. You just couldn't relax, you had to be cleaning the entire time you there and spend the entire last day scrubbing before you left. Exhausting!

October 14, 2013

I just knew this would be your sort of place Michelle! x

Jacana

October 13, 2013

I love the look of it and the character it seems to have. But if I holiday I need to be in a place with lots of stars after its name.

October 14, 2013

There is nothing wrong with a few stars, I agree!

celia

October 13, 2013

Jane, what a gorgeous space! It sounds like an idyllic place to spend a holiday! xx

tea with lucy

October 14, 2013

THIS is my dream shack! So perfectly relaxed and rustic.

rachel xo

October 14, 2013

I thought this would be your sort of place Rachel!

notjustknitting

October 16, 2013

How lovely!! Definitely old style shack for me and your photos are just fabulous. I can almost smell the air and feel the gritty sand on all the smooth surfaces!!

October 20, 2013

Thank you…I think most people agree that old style shacks are best!

Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy

October 17, 2013

Just gorgeous. My dream is to own a little rustic beach shack. I would love to decorate it with things I find around the place. A little haven to retreat to whenever I want…. ah it would be lovely!

October 20, 2013

Thanks Anna…wouldn't it be lovely!