In My Kitchen, July 2014

?>

Now it really is feeling like winter.  Frosty mornings, shorter days and sparkly rays of afternoon sunshine most days.

One little spot in our kitchen catches particularly pretty afternoon light.  When there are no flowers to pick there is always plenty of olive tree foliage.

Outdoor cooking in camp ovens is very common for us at this time of year, but cooking desserts and baking sweets things in camp ovens is something we are still experimenting with.  This fruit and almond tart was a recent camp oven success story.  As per usual when cooking with fire or coals, timing is everything.

I am so grateful for a successful broccoli crop.

Locally grown oranges.  There is nothing better at this time of year.  Do you have a favourite way to use oranges, other than fresh or juiced?

From what I read, a lot of my favourite bloggers drink a lot of tea.  So do I, especially in the cold weather when drinking water is less appealing.  Black tea in the morning, green tea at lunchtime, red tea in the afternoon and back to green in the evening.   My friend Sarah reminded me recently that tea and popcorn is a great pick-me-up on a cold afternoon.  Tea and popcorn also has a lovely ring to it don’t you think?

What are you cooking or making at the moment?

I hope it is warm and smelling delicious in your kitchen.

Linking up with my friend Celia at  Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.

deeleggett

July 1, 2014

I'd be making orange curd and orange cake (the cook's companion has a great recipe but be sure to add grated rind and poppy seeds). Yum yum!

July 5, 2014

Orange curd is a great idea…thank you!

Kate

July 1, 2014

Oh yum, I have a bunch of oranges too and that recipe in the comment above sounds like a goodie.
    Your winter sounds lovely Jane, cool but not too cold. x

July 5, 2014

Thanks for calling in Kate x

Anne

July 1, 2014

As ever Jane, your kitchen is looking a wonderful place to spend time. I'm in awe of the fruit and almond tart, which can be tricky enough to cook in a thermostatically controlled oven, let alone in a camp oven and locally grown oranges are a treat that I shall never have (though we have home grown raspberries at the moment, which probably people who can grow oranges don't have). I always look forward to seeing what you have in your kitchen.

July 5, 2014

Thanks so much Anne, are oranges grown at all in your part of the world? We certainly don't have any home grown raspberries!

The Food Sage

July 1, 2014

Lovely – as always. I'm quite into chai masala tea at the moment – a great way to wind down after a frantic day's work. And that's a head of broccoli to be proud of! Well don.

July 5, 2014

Thanks Rachel, always lovely to hear from you.

Kylie

July 1, 2014

I love seeing whats in your kitchen each month Jane……your produce and baking always looks incredible! Your camp oven attempt at baking looks quite successful – I would be very happy to eat some! I also love your photos!!! Thanks for sharing you country kitchen- always a delight x

July 5, 2014

Thank you so much Kylie. I would be happy to share some camp oven experiments with you x

Natalie

July 1, 2014

How completely strange that I come across your blog today for the first time and see tea and popcorn as a snack when that's what I did yesterday and today for the first time!

Your photographs are so inviting! And there is nothing better than home grown broccoli.
    xx

July 5, 2014

Great minds think alike Natalie…thanks for calling in.

Lauren @ Living the Savory Life

July 1, 2014

Really stunning photos. I really love the light. Broccoli is so good right now. We are eating it often. And that fire and fruit tart just screams winter comfort. Really beautiful.

July 5, 2014

Thank you very much Lauren.

Kyrstie Barcak

July 1, 2014

Beautiful Jane! I love that fire. We are cooking with lots of pumpkin at the moment thanks to a nice harvest this year. Stay warm.

July 5, 2014

I bet those pumpkins are good Kyrstie. Thanks for calling in!

passionfruitgarden.com

July 1, 2014

Jane, well done with your tart. I tried to cook something in my wood oven not long ago and it turned out black. A camp oven is way beyond my skills

July 5, 2014

Thanks Glenda, we have had our share of charcoal food in the wood oven and out of our camp ovens. But, with some practice and a little luck we are starting to get more consistent with it!

celia

July 1, 2014

Jane, cooking dessert in coals is an art form, I'm sure, and you nailed it with your tart! Your broccoli is gorgeous – we've only had one head this year, but it was delicious. And I'm yet to try red tea, but I have a packet – still not sure what the distinction is between red and black, but I guess I'll find out soon! Have a great month love xx

July 5, 2014

Thanks so much Celia. I really enjoy red tea, it is a nice change from black tea and slightly more mellow. Not sure if that is a technical tea tasting term? x

frogpondfarm

July 2, 2014

Hey Jane .. lovely pics – gorgeous light. Tea and popcorn sounds wonderful! Winter warm ups. 🙂

July 5, 2014

Thanks Julie, you are kind.

Elizabeth

July 2, 2014

My Broccoli is just about ready for me to pick and I am so looking forward to it! I'm so impressed with your tart cooked in the campfire… I don't think I could attempt it… amazing!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Liz x

July 5, 2014

Thanks Liz, it has taken years of practice and plenty of failures to get to this point in our camp fire cooking journey!

Zara

July 2, 2014

We get beautiful afternoon light in the front rooms. at this time of the year its the perfect spot to perch with a magazine.
    We've been enjoying a fresh orange after dinner every evening. An orange syrup cake is also popular here.
    x

July 5, 2014

Afternoon light is the best at this time of the year isn't it Zara? Thanks for calling in x

Tandy | Lavender and Lime

July 2, 2014

I shall start making popcorn in the afternoons! Thanks for sharing what's in your kitchen 🙂

e / dig in hobart

July 2, 2014

tea and popcorn sounds like the perfect name for a blog… funny how we have tea routines. for me it's green until mid-afternoon, when i need a hit of early grey to get me thru the rest of the day. then it's peppermint after dinner.
    i am feeling inadequate after seeing your magnificent broccoli, jane. that is somethign to be proud of! and oranges? i dug out my upside down orange syrup cake recipe – that is perfect for this time of the year when we need some citrus cheeriness.
    i love seeing the changing light in your photos, the softer winter light cast on your beautiful arrangements.
    makes me want to move over… xx

July 5, 2014

That is funny e, I thought it would make a great blog name too! Orange syrup cake sounds so good. Citrus cheeriness indeed. The light is lovely at this time of the year. I always appreciate your thoughtful comments x

Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things

July 3, 2014

Hi lovely Jane… what a delicious post… it's so cold here in Canberra lately… those sun-less days when there's nothing but fog and cloud until well into the afternoon…. snuggling around a fire watching you bake dessert would be such a treat!

Thanks Lizzy, stay warm in chilly Canberra! x

Fiona Ryan

July 3, 2014

Tea and Popcorn actually sounds like a great name for a blog. I'm not a tea drinker, preferring coffee but even I have been topping up my fluids with mugs of peppermint tea rather than excess coffee during these cold days. I laugh that you say you are experimenting with cooking on coals – that's a pretty bloody amazing experiment you've baked! Thanks for the tasty tour.

July 5, 2014

I thought it would be a good blog name too Fiona!

Katie @ Life With The Crew

July 3, 2014

Oh, that picture of the tart in front of the fire is lovely – what a feeling of warmth. Berries are what is in the kitchen at the moment – blueberries, strawberries, and some just picked black raspberries, ready for a coffee cake tomorrow morning.

July 5, 2014

Oh those berries sound delicious! Thanks Katie.

Donna

July 3, 2014

Lovely Jane!! We have been eating alot of popcorn here too on the holidays. Some home made – and some at the movies. I'm a coffee in the morning kind of girl and tea of an afternoon and evening. A good hot cuppa – nothing better!! (maybe a bit of your homemade tart to go with it – that would be better….)

Thanks Donna. Coffee for me mid morning too…always! x

Kim Bultman

July 3, 2014

Jane, your tea tins and that lil' table (and olive foliage basket) made for a delightful photo! (Love your header photo, too!) I really do need to try my hand at camp cooking… your tart looks delicious! Somebody in IMK (forgive me for forgetting who — I've been commenting on posts all morning!) mentioned dipping dried oranges (peel?) in chocolate. I often add orange segments to salads, too — pasta, greens, what have you — love that citrus burst. Thanks for this lovely, flavorful glimpse of your kitchen!

July 5, 2014

Thanks Kim. Yes, I think Glenda over at PassionFruitGarden might have been dipping oranges in chocolate. Orange in salad is a good idea!

Tania @ The Cook's Pyjamas

July 4, 2014

That is some very impressive broccoli. The heads on mine never get that big, but there is nothing better than homegrown is there. That tart is amazing. Well done on cooking it in a camp oven.

July 5, 2014

Thank you Tania, you are very kind.

Milk and Honey

July 4, 2014

With the cold weather comes delicious tarts and fresh oranges. Gotta love that.

July 5, 2014

I agree! Thanks for calling in.

look see. by naomi fenton

July 5, 2014

Beautiful photos – that spot in the kitchen is indeed lovely! xx

tea with hazel

July 5, 2014

your broccoli is weeks ahead of mine jane..with mine i can just see the little head developing between the baby inner leaves..so can the cabbage larvae that have usually given up by now..it's obviously not cold enough to bump them off..lovely tart too..congratulations on managing to cook something so beautiful in a camp oven..i'm making the most of oranges too..they are a favourite fruit when they're in season..i particularly like navel oranges with slightly thicker skin because they're great for eating..x

July 6, 2014

Thank you Jane. My cauliflower is at that 'little head' stage. Oranges are so cheery at this time of the year aren't they? Happy Sunday to you x

Joanne T Ferguson

July 8, 2014

G'day! Gorgeous photos! Love your tart!
    Thanks for this month's kitchen view too!
    Cheers! Joanne

July 9, 2014

Thanks Joanne, your comments are so cheerful!

JJ - 84thand3rd

July 9, 2014

Oh tea and popcorn is my go to afternoon treat! The broccoli and cake both look gorgeous 🙂 Thanks for sharing Jane.

Moya @ foodandtools

July 11, 2014

Jane, like you I love my tea throughout the day! Such beautiful rays of light you have coming in through the window on onto your gorgeous oranges. The homely fruit and almond tart near your heart warming fire, just beautiful. Thank you for sharing. 🙂

July 31, 2014

Thank you Moya, I appreciate you calling in.