My Open Kitchen Gathering

My Open Kitchen Gathering 01

After two flights and a solo drive in the dark last Sunday, my husband greeted me at the door with a home cooked dinner and a glass of wine.  After a wonderful weekend away I cannot remember ever feeling so happy to be home.  Home in every sense of the word.

A few days away at the My Open Kitchen Gathering  made me think about many things.  Here are some of my thoughts, in no particular order, with lots of links and photos.

My Open Kitchen Gathering 02

The kindness of strangers should never be underestimated and meeting long time blog and Instagram friends in real life is always exciting.

Listening to some of my favourite podcast presenters speak in real life felt just like listening to a podcast.  Except it was better because I was sitting in the glorious Old Convent , surrounded by rusty foliage, new friends and trays of expertly made piccolo lattes.

My Open Kitchen Gathering 03

My Open Kitchen Gathering 04

When styling a table, remember to think about different heights and angles and keep those candles straight in photos, thank you Sarah.

My Open Kitchen Gathering 05

When taking photos of anything, remember to step back, take a deep breath and use your body like a sturdy tripod.  Thank you Sophie.

A goodie bag filled with tea leaveshot chocolatea handmade bowl and a piece of pink linen is surely the best goodie bag ever.

My Open Kitchen Gathering 06

I absorbed so many things in relation to the use of social media and to be honest, I am still digesting a lot of it.  Perhaps the main take home message was to keep social media posts authentic and work on finding your own voice.

Motivation is contagious when surrounded by a motivated group of creative women, thank you Pip.

My Open Kitchen Gathering 07

For me personally, I cannot think of a more unnatural, sterile environment than big city airports.

On the other hand, the autumn leaves in Orange are spectacular and earthy.  I found myself picking up the large ones and carrying them around with me, like a prize!

My Open Kitchen Gathering 08

A glass of wine in the sunshine, accompanied by a gourmet picnic lunch and easy chatter about sourdough is good for the soul. Not to mention the wine bicycle .

My Open Kitchen Gathering 09

If I lived in Orange this bakery would be my go-to.  Everything about this tiny, tucked away space was perfect in the moment when I needed warmth, coffee, food and piles of pastries to admire.

My Open Kitchen Gathering 11

My Open Kitchen Gathering 10

For me, this trip was as much about connecting with my fellow attendees and enjoying new surroundings as it was about listening to the impressive line up of speakers.  It was the little moments sharing taxis and meeting up so we could walk as a group in the dark that I will remember the most.  I felt as if I was among old friends even though we had only just met.  Such is the power of social media to connect like minded people.  Then, it takes someone special like Sophie to actually bring it all together in real life and execute it so well.  Thank you to all involved.

How are you?

Have you experienced something really wonderful this week?

Are there autumn leaves or sunshine at your place?

Or a warm, cosy bakery?

Happy Sunday, friends x

Chookyblue

May 27, 2018

It sure is a special connection ee make with our like minded bloggers etc…… And when we meet its like seeing an old friend….. Special……. You met my buddy I am sure…..

May 29, 2018

Hello Chooky, thank you. Who was your buddy I wonder?

Sue Heward

May 27, 2018

Totally lovely to meet you and what a privilege the weekend was.

May 29, 2018

Wasn’t it Sue? Now it feels like a whirlwind…but such a lovely memory.

Kate B

May 27, 2018

What a fabulous thing to be a part of Jane. I have seen some great photos from last weekend over on Instagram! xx

May 29, 2018

It really was Kate! x

Kate

May 27, 2018

I have been so looking forward to seeing your photos and hearing your thoughts on this weekend. I am sure more will spill forth over the coming days and weeks. Isn’t it glorious just to get away and disconnect with the day to day but almost helicopter above it by moving slightly to the left or right of what makes up the whole? I always find those ‘still in the zone’ but stepped back from it moments magic. Sector conferences do that for me. I am still at work, but thinking about work differently. Craft weekends, or camping are the same for home life.

May 29, 2018

Absolutely Kate! It was wonderful to have some breathing space and time to think about things in a different space and place.

Annie Bart

May 27, 2018

Was thinking of you Jane. Glad it was such a positive rewarding happy time. How wonderful and something to keep your passion sustained until next time.

May 29, 2018

Thank you Annie! x

Kate

May 27, 2018

glorious jane. sounds and looks just like a beautiful dream. but i’m with you on the no pace like home thing, that’s always the best part for me too. xx

May 29, 2018

Yes, I know you understand Kate. Thank you x

Kate l

May 27, 2018

This sounds like a wonderful weekend of connecting.
    How lucky you were to be part of it, and to arrive home to a meal and wine.

May 29, 2018

Very lucky Kate! Thank you.

Laura

May 28, 2018

Sounds like an inspiring weekend filled with connections and community. I imagine it was a fair trip for you though. Look forward to seeing further thoughts as you process them.
    Cheers
    Laura

May 29, 2018

Thank you Laura, it really was wonderful.

Ewe beauty

May 29, 2018

Fabulous experience Jane and wonderful photos to stir our imagination …..just remember that big sterile airport can transport you to many wonderful places !!!!! I love the anticipation (but NOT the food 😏)

May 29, 2018

Thank you Trish, very true! x

Anne

May 29, 2018

Conferences, courses and weekends like this are undoubtedly very useful but it’s usually the connections and conversations with others that make them truly memorable (and sometimes provide the best information). Sounds like a glorious weekend. Maybe you should be organising something like this Jane.

May 30, 2018

Absolutely agree Anne. I have decided I certainly need to swing into action with some of my schemes and plans…enough of the talk festivals! It really was a wonderful weekend.

Paula

May 30, 2018

Sounds & looks like you had a wonderful weekend Jane . I` m sure your head is spinning with ideas & your camera is full of delicious photos. Food for the soul, body & mind,
    best way to recharge the batteries. Best of all you didn’t have to cook tea when you arrived home. 🙂

June 7, 2018

Thank you Paula, yes, having dinner cooked was certainly a bonus! x

Sam

May 31, 2018

It sounds as though you had a thoroughly inspiring time, Jane. What a treat to spend a few days with like-minded new friends. Your photos are glorious. So glad you had a lovely welcome home.

June 7, 2018

Thank you Sam, lovely to hear from you x

Megan Trousdale

June 11, 2018

Hi Jane, Reading your blog post brought back so many lovely memories of the weekend. Was it really nearly a month ago? I am so sorry we didn’t meet in person. Seventy people really is a lot of people isn’t it. I enjoyed your photos and interpretation of the weekend. Like you I am still taking it all in and I am sure it will continue to compost and come out in our work in various ways. Megan x

June 12, 2018

It is a lovely memory isn’t it Megan? I have thought about so many small moments along the way! Thank you for calling in x

Cindy

August 7, 2018

Beautifully and inspiringly said!