Holiday goodness

?>

Just like an Easter egg that has been sitting in the sun for too long, our school holidays are quickly melting away.  That was a bit lame but please stay with me!

I kicked my Easter chocolate purchasing off by ordering some of the good stuff from Spencer Cocoa.  What is not to love about chocolate that is made ethically with real ingredients right here in NSW.

We have been picking and poaching quinces.

Some of them found their way into a simple butter cake and some have been enjoyed with honey yoghurt.

Easter weather is close to perfect in our part of the world and in the afternoons I find myself constantly admiring the sparkly light on our verandah.

On Easter Saturday we visited family for a special celebration.   Part of the lavish dinner was a whole spit roasted pig.  This animal was raised, slaughter and cooked by my cousins who well and truly know their way around large pieces of meat.

In the garden we have been planting garlic, making pea trellises and enjoying the milder sunshine.

Easter really is a lovely time of the year.

How is life at your place?  I hope you are enjoying the sunshine too.

Kate @ Kate Writes

April 23, 2014

Happy Easter. I understand your opening sentiments Jane, these holidays have just flown by! Don't you just love Autumn light, especially in the afternoon? Make the most of the last few peaceful afternoons 🙂

Thanks Kate….you too! x

frogpondfarm

April 23, 2014

Gorgeous pics as usual! That cake has my name all over it. I too have been planting garlic – I wish I had taken a photo – yours looks great. Fine looking soil you have there too! 🙂

April 23, 2014

Thanks Julie, having a supply of real garlic is a wonderful thing isn't it?

Kate

April 23, 2014

although autumn always makes feel a little melancholy, the light and sparkle makes me love it inspite of myself. Enjoy you beautiful part of the world Jane. xx

April 23, 2014

I know that melancholy autumn feeling Kate…I sometimes feel it too. The pretty light and the gentler sunshine mostly makes up for it x

Anne

April 23, 2014

When you say Easter weather is close to perfect, how warm is that? I love the look of your verandah and that fabulous chair, especially in the autumn light.
    Incidentally, my daughter wanted to take photos of campfire cooking so I showed her your blog for inspiration and then couldn't drag her away. "I want that lifestyle" she told me. Not sure she knows exactly what your life entails, but she did work near Alice Springs for a while so maybe she'd be OK.

April 23, 2014

Thanks Anne. Our days are mostly in the mid to low 20 degree range with mornings and nights around 9 or 10 degrees (Celsius). There is no wind and it really is lovely. I am sure your daughter would be well suited to our lifestyle, I really think the only difference is that it can be much hotter here and much colder on your side of the world! x

Zara

April 23, 2014

What a treat that chocolate is. I haven't heard of this company before, I'm off to check it out now.
    You've captures the beautiful Autumn light to perfection here Jane, just lovely.
    x

April 23, 2014

Check it out Zara, not only is it delicious but they are lovely people to deal with too. No surprises there x

Katie @ Life With The Crew

April 23, 2014

It is lovely light. What a cool chair! Local chocolate is definitely a treat to have!

Thanks Katie…my husband made the chair 🙂

Cheri Savory Spoon

April 23, 2014

Your cake is lovely, love the quince peeking out here and there. Parts of your garden is growing like gangbusters, what fun!

April 28, 2014

Thank you Cheri, it is a lovely time of the year to be baking and gardening!

Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things

April 23, 2014

Hi Jane, sounds like you have been enjoying the weather after some good rain! It freshens everything up, doesn't it! The Spencer Cocoa sounds really interesting. I gather it's available online? Love your quinces! And I really must get outside and plant some garlic too. Thank you for the lovely update xo

April 28, 2014

Hello Lizzy, yes the Spencer Cocoa is online and the service is very personal and friendly! Happy garlic planting x

tea with hazel

April 24, 2014

i have visions of you sitting on that fabulous chair on your verandah on a lovely autumn morning or afternoon eating the gorgeous looking quince cake and sipping on a coffee or tea as you gaze at your plantings and across the fence to the rain restored landscape..x

April 28, 2014

You paint a lovely picture Jane…I need to remember to do what you describe more often! x

e / dig in

April 28, 2014

it sounds like you had a lovely easter jane. it is a great time of the year, especially for being outside in the garden. and yes the light is sparkly, clear and bright.
    did you poach or slow cook your quince first before popping it into the butter cake? mum has quinces on at the moment, so i'm thinking i could do this.

April 29, 2014

Thanks e, I certainly did poach these quinces before putting them into the cake. Thanks for calling in x

The Desert Echo

April 29, 2014

Oh gosh that chocolate looks so amazing, I will be adding it to my Christmas present list!

April 30, 2014

I know you would love it!

Chantille Fleur

April 30, 2014

That cake looks so yummy! I've never had anything with quince in it or even tasted one so I don't know what they taste like 🙂
    We've been getting gardening things done too – don't you just love Autumn? When the heat of summer leaves and the days became mild and pleasant…
    I find myself constantly admiring the light outdoors now that the seasons have changed…as I type yet another beautiful rich golden sun is rising. I'm having trouble not inundating my blog with endless photos of things in the golden morning and afternoon sun lol!

Hope you're having a good week xx

May 3, 2014

I completely agree and nod my head to all of that Sarah!

lucent imagery

May 4, 2014

The light you've captured on the verandah is beautiful. I remember you did a photography course and it is so evident how much you enjoy taking your gorgeous images. I've loved watching it evolve. xx

May 5, 2014

Thank you Lucent, that is very kind. I actually have a new camera which I am still coming to grips with! It almost feels like a step backwards even though I have upgraded considerably. Plenty of practice is the key I guess!